Kornieck’s late game-tying goal gives Wave point at Snapdragon Stadium
San Diego Wave FC (6-6-2, 20 points) and the Washington Spirit (6-3-5, 23 points) battled to a 2-2 draw at Snapdragon Stadium on Saturday night.
After a video review awarded a penalty kick to Washington for a foul in the box in the 19th minute, Spirit forward Ashley Hatch stepped to the spot to take the attempt. Hatch converted the penalty to earn her eighth goal of the season in the 23rd minute.
San Diego came out of the break on the front foot, equalizing just one minute into the second half. After winning a corner in the 45th minute, midfielder Jaedyn Shaw dropped a pinpoint ball into the path of defender Cheyenne Shorts. Shorts was able to score her first career NWSL goal to level the match.
In the 54th minute, Washington midfielder Dorian Bailey played a ball into the box. The ball was trying to be played out by the Wave’s defense, but trickled over the goal line for a San Diego own goal that gave the Spirit the lead.
San Diego took a corner kick in the 90th minute that resulted in the game-tying goal from midfielder Taylor Korneick. The 6’1 midfielder headed the ball into the top right corner, straight off of a corner kick from forward Kelsey Turnbow. The goal marked Kornieck’s first goal and Turnbow’s first assist of the regular season.
Next on the schedule: The San Diego Wave heads into a bye weekend before traveling to face Portland Thorns FC on Friday, July 21, at 7:30 p.m. PT. The match will be streamed on Paramount+.
- Defender Cheyenne Shorts earned her first NWSL goal in the 46th minute. Shorts started her third straight match for the Wave since signing as an injury replacement player on March 28.
- Midfielder Taylor Kornieck scored her first goal of the 2023 regular season, assisted by forward Kelsey Turnbow, who recorded her first assist.
- Midfielder Makenzy Doniak wore the captain’s armband for the first time since joining the Wave ahead of the 2022 season. With her start tonight, Doniak also hit her 100th NWSL appearance.
- Defender Chai Cortez made her first-ever start and professional appearance tonight. Cortez signed as a National Team Replacement on June 27.
- The Wave collaborated with The Animal Pad in San Diego for tonight’s match with a special team walkout with adoptable puppies.
- Wave outshot the Spirit 22-10 and out-possessed 56.5%-43.5%
San Diego Wave FC 1:2 Washington Spirit
WAS – Hatch (Penalty Kick 8) 23’
SD – Shorts (1) 46’
WAS – Own Goal 54’
SD – Kornieck (1) 90’’
WAS – Jaurena 14’ (Yellow)
WAS – Ricketts 45+3’ (Yellow)
WAS – McKeown 51’ (Yellow)
SD – Shaw 70’ (Yellow)
WAS – Carle 89’ (Yellow)
San Diego Wave FC: GK Yáñez, D Shorts, D Westphal, D Riehl, D Cortez (Pogarch 60’), M Kornieck, M Dougherty Howard (Barcenas 60’), M Colaprico, F Shaw, M Doniak © (Turnbow 66’), F Hill (Ali 66’)
Subs not used: GK Brzykcy, M DeMarco, M Briede, D Gyau, F Connors
Washington Spirit: GK Barnhart, D Staab, D McKeown, D Carle, D Bailey, M Jaurena (Brooks 60’), M Elwell, M Metayer, M Ricketts (N. Douglas 60’), M Silano (Bielgalski 65’), F Hatch (Speckmaier 90’)
Subs not used: GK Bossleman, D Thompson
Stats Summary: SD / WAS
Shots: 22 / 10
Shots on Target: 9 / 3
Saves: 2 / 7
Corners: 8 / 2
Fouls: 7 / 19
Offsides: 4 / 1
Possession: 56.5% / 43.5%