San Diego Wave FC (Challenge Cup: 1-0-0, 3 points) beat the Portland Thorns FC (Challenge Cup: 0-1-0, 0 points) 1-0 at Snapdragon Stadium on Wednesday night. Tonight’s match marked the first game of the 2023 UKG NWSL Challenge Cup.
After a stalemate in the first half, the breakthrough goal would eventually come in the 65th minute courtesy of forward Jaedyn Shaw, who made an immediate impact after entering the match in the 61st minute. Reacting quickly off a pass from midfielder Sofia Jakobsson, Shaw took a touch inside the box and struck a well hit shot that deflected off a Thorns defender and found the back of the net.
Goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan recorded nine saves tonight for another impressive shift in net to earn her first shutout of the season and hold onto Wave’s 1-0 lead.
Next on the schedule: The Wave head on the road for a regular-season match against in-state rival Angel City FC on Sunday, April 23. Beginning at 5:00 p.m. PT, the match will be available to watch live via broadcast on FOX5 San Diego and streamed on Paramount+.
- Tonight’s match kicked off the 2023 UKG NWSL Challenge Cup. This marked the first year the tournament has not taken place in the preseason, with the competition stretching from April 19 to Sept. 9.
- On April 13, NWSL and UKG announced the first-ever $1M prize pool in U.S. women’s soccer.
- The shutout marks the first of the season for the Wave. Goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan earned nine saves in the win.
- Defender Sierra Enge earned her first professional appearance with a start in tonight’s match. The Cardiff native was drafted by the Wave with the 13th overall pick in the NWSL Draft this season out of Stanford University.
- Midfielder Rachel Hill earned her first career start for the Wave. The free agent signing earned her first appearance (108 total), on Saturday against OL Reign.
San Diego Wave FC 1:0 Portland Thorns FC
SD – Own Goal 65’ (deflection)
SD – Enge (Caution) 24’
Stats Summary: SD / POR
Shots: 6 / 17
Shots on Target: 1 / 9
Saves: 9 / 1
Corners: 2 / 4
Fouls: 9 / 15
Offsides: 1 / 1
Possession: 45.9% / 54.1%