San Diego Wave FC (6-5-2, 20 points) fell to OL Reign (7-4-2, 23 points) at Snapdragon Stadium on Saturday night in front of 22,682 fans.
The visiting side opened the scoring in the eighth minute after a ball over the top from Quinn found midfielder Bethany Balcer. Balcer was able to get her head on the ball in the box that snuck past goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan.
San Diego tied the match just two minutes into the second half when forward Alex Morgan sent a cross into the box for midfielder Jaedyn Shaw. The 18-year-old headed the ball to the back post past a diving Reign goalkeeper to even the match for the Wave. However, the Reign would score thirty minutes later with Balcer adding another goal to close out the match and take all three points.
Next on the schedule: San Diego Wave travels to face Angel City FC in the UKG Challenge Cup this Wednesday, June 28, at BMO Stadium. The match will air on CBS Sports Network with kickoff at 7:30 p.m. PT.
- Midfielder Jaedyn Shaw scored her fourth goal of the season. The 18-year-old has seven professional goals for the Wave since making her professional debut on July 30, 2022.
- Forward Alex Morgan earned her fourth assist of the season, marking her 26th of her NWSL career. Morgan is the third player in league history with 50+ goals and 25+ assists in regular season play.
- Tonight marks the last home match for the Wave’s World Cup players that have been announced by their respective countries. On Wednesday, the U.S. Women’s National Team announced defender Naomi Girma and forward Alex Morgan would be on the USA roster. Sweden announced that midfielder Sofia Jakobsson would be part of her fourth World Cup for her country. Meanwhile, midfielder Emily van Egmond (AUS) and goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan (CAN) have been named to the preliminary roster.
- Midfielder Emily van Egmond returned to the starting lineup for the first time since April 23 due to a back injury. The Australian international made her first appearance last weekend against Los Angeles.
- San Diego Wave have scored 5 goals in the first 15 minutes of the second half, more than any other team in the NWSL this season.
San Diego Wave 1:2 OL Reign
SEA – Balcer (4) (Quinn 1) 8’
SD – Shaw (4) (Morgan 4) 47’
SEA – Balcer (5) (Huerta 2) 77’
SEA – Barnes 81’ (Yellow)
SEA – King 83’ (Yellow)
SD – Sheridan 90+1’ (Red)
SEA – Quinn 90+12’ (Yellow)
San Diego Wave FC: GK Sheridan (Red card), D Girma, D Westphal (Yanez 88’), D McNabb (Pogarch 77’), D Riehl, M Colaprico, M van Egmond (Briede HT), M Shaw, M Doughtery Howard (Kornieck 71’), F Doniak (Ali 77’), F Morgan ©
Subs not used: M Barcenas, D Gyua, M Turnbow, M Briede, M DeMarco
OL Reign: GK Tullis-Joyce, D Huerta, D Barnes ©, D Cook, D Hiatt, M Quinn (Brown 90’+10), M Van der Jagt (Latsko 67’), M Sonnett, F Balcer, F Huitema, F King (Stanton 83’)
Subs not used: GK Ivory, M Athens, M Canales, D Malonson, D Holmes
Stats Summary: SD / SEA
Shots: 7 / 8
Shots on Target: 1 / 4
Saves: 2 / 0
Corners: 5 / 2
Fouls: 10 / 17
Offsides: 1 / 0
Possession: 56.5% / 43.5%